None of our products contain:
- Artificial Fragrances
- Synthetic Dyes
- Mineral Oils
Cinnamon, Cedar Wood, Clove, Mint, Lemongrass, Geraniol, and Cottonseed Oils are found in various combinations and potencies to comprise nearly all our Flea & Tick and other parasite products.
- These natural essential oils are what plants have used for thousands of years to defend themselves from insects, and in the combinations and concentrations we use will both kill and repel most insects.
- Essential oil plant extracts work by attacking and disrupting signals of octopamine receptors. Much like a weaponized nerve gas attacks the human central nervous system and causes seizure, organ failure, and eventually death, these ingredients do the same to insects. Since insects are the only creatures with octopamine receptors, plant oil extracts are harmless to most humans, mammals, birds and aquatic life (in fact, we find them to be pleasant smelling and even delicious).
- These oils in the combinations and potencies we use will kill most insects with contact in anywhere from a few minutes (fleas, mites, lice, mosquitoes) to several hours (ticks, bed bugs, cockroaches). However, their potent fragrances are detectable to insects at great distance and work ideally as repellant for a week or more with each application.
- Our cinnamon oil extracted from the plant leaf and used in all our Flea & Tick formulations is also an anti-inflammatory used to treat inflammation, swelling, pain and tenderness associated with parasite bites.
DIOCTYL SODIUM SULFOSUCCINATE (DSS)
DSS (Dioctyl Sodium Sulfosuccinate) is found in our DeFlea Pet Shampoos, DeFlea Pet & Bedding Spray for Dogs and Reptile Mite Spray.
- DSS dissolves and penetrates insect exoskeleton (or the external armor all insects possess), then allows other ingredients to flood internal organs and causes insects to “explode” from inside out. This formula kills larvae, pupae and adult fleas, mites, and lice instantly on contact, and for larger insects like ticks, bed bugs, etc. will kill typically within a few minutes.
- These formulas are the ideal solution for eradicating existing infestations quickly and safely, but are inert once they dry and have no residual (repellant) effect.
- DSS is found in numerous human ingested products like sports drinks, milk shakes, and most memorably as a key active ingredient in human laxatives. While incredibly deadly to anything with an exoskeleton, it is non-toxic and harmless in concentrations we use to all mammals.
- Because DSS efficacy comes from a mechanical process and does not absorb into bloodstream or subcutaneous layer of skin, our original DeFlea formulas are faster acting than most chemical neurotoxins and far safer for use on pets and around humans.
Undecylenic Acid is a natural extract of castor beans and the other key active ingredient in our original DeFlea formulas mentioned above containing DSS.
- Responsible for saturating the internal organs of insects once DSS has dissolved exoskeleton.
- Relieves itching, burning, and irritation often caused by flea and other insect bites on pet’s skin.
Isopropyl Myristate is found in our Natural Squeeze-On treatments.
- Changes viscosity of our concentrated plant oil extracts allowing them to better spread across skin and coat and provide month-long repellant protection.
- Functions as a natural pesticide slowly dissolving waxy exterior of many parasite exoskeletons and causing them to desiccate and die.
- Vanillin is essentially a form of vanilla extract like you would find at grocery store and is found in most of our natural flea and tick shampoos and sprays.
- Vanillin is an antioxidant and helps keep hair healthy and prevent damage to hair follicles.
- Complicated looking “benzaldehyde, 4-hydroxy-3-methoxy-“ listed on some labels is simply the exact version (chemist nomenclature) of vanilla extract we are using.
- Whenever possible, we like to be transparent with our precise ingredients so interested consumers can verify safety and quality of our formulas.
SOAP & VEGETABLE GLYCERIN
Soap & Vegetable Glycerin are two ingredients found in our DeFlea Upholstery Spray, DeFlea Pet & Bedding Spray for Cats, Ruffled Feathers Mite & Lice Spray, and Sleep Tight Bed Bug Spray formulas.
- These natural ingredients increase viscosity of formulation and adhere/coat fleas and ticks of all life stages to suffocate them. These are the only formulas capable of killing eggs.
Diatomaceous Earth found in our DeFlea Powders is food-grade and useful as natural insect killer and barrier defense.
- DE crystals are razor sharp at a microscopic level and will slash insect exoskeleton causing them to desiccate and die in typically 24-48 hours.
- The extremely small size of DE particles makes their sharp surfaces relatively harmless to larger mammals and our skin.
SODIUM BICARBONATE, CALCIUM SILICATE & CALCIUM CARBONATE
Sodium Bicarbonate, Calcium Silicate & Calcium Carbonate are additional ingredients found in our DeFlea Powders having some insecticidal effects, help product to more effectively adhere to surfaces or the insects themselves, as well as naturally preserve the powder from moisture and clumping.
- Sodium Bicarbonate (baking soda) absorbs odors and moisture, is an anti-fungal agent, and insecticide for certain species. For example, cockroaches will eat the granules which cause a massive gas discharge in the digestive tract and ruptures their organs.
- Calcium Silicate absorbs moisture to preserve powder as well as help with desiccation effects on insects.
- Calcium Carbonate (ground limestone) aides in the desiccation process of insects and provides better adhesion of powder.
Colloidal Oatmeal is used in our Natural Flea & Tick Shampoo w/ Oatmeal and our botanical Oatmeal & Chamomile grooming products.
- Soothes dry, itchy skin conditions and helps prevent irritation.
- Nourishes dry coat and leaves coat sleek and soft to touch.
GRAPEFRUIT SEED EXTRACT
Grapefruit Seed Extract is a primary ingredient of our Dental Cleanse products.
- Antioxidant with vitamin C, E and flavonoids.
- Antioxidants neutralize free radicals that damage cells and cause oral plaque and gum disorders.
- Great natural breath freshener.
Chlorhexidine Gluconate is a human-grade ingredient frequently prescribed by dentists after any oral surgery and a primary ingredient in Dental Cleanse.
- Helps control most common dental issues with teeth and gums and prevent infection.
- Regulates health in mouth by destroying many harmful bacteria which lead to plaque and gingivitis while not sterilizing beneficial bacteria (unlike alcohol and peroxide).
Zinc Gluconate is the final key ingredient in Dental Cleanse.
- Inhibits plaque and tartar.
- One of the most effective ways to combat bad breath.
Our natural enzymes are cultured and grown as a proprietary blend in our own facilities through a fermentation process and are the primary ingredients used in Skunks Etc., Smells & Stains, Waterless Bath, Healthy Habitat, Ruffled Feathers and Reptile Cage Cleaner.
- Current research shows, that we are the only company in the pet industry that actually grows our own enzymes naturally instead of synthesizing in an outside lab.
- Our natural enzyme technology is superior to lab-synthesized formulas because our enzymes are extremely broad-spectrum and shelf stable.
- Where synthetic enzyme formulas are created with only a few strains to treat one problem like cat urine, our process creates hundreds of enzyme strains capable of completely dissolving any non-living organic matter or odors.
- Synthetic enzymes when mixed and shoved in a bottle together will start to cannibalize each other making the formula less and less effective the longer it sits from initial mix date. Since our natural enzymes are raised together, they coexist and will not cannibalize each other, making our formulas as effective after years as the day they left our facility.
- Effective on urine, feces, blood, vomit, oils, grease, food & beverage stains, dander, organic odors, and much more.
- Use Skunks Etc. to remove candle wax from carpeting, clean jewelry, dissolve manure stains and odor, in carpet cleaning machines, washing machine/laundry pre-treatment, removing human scent from clothing and gear for hunters, keeping your pool/spa clean, and more.
- Aloe Vera is used in our Waterless Bath formulas to enhance the product efficacy beyond the enzymatic cleaning properties. Aloe is a natural moisturizer, soothes skin, helps heal wounds or burns, and provides nourishment to coat leaving animal very soft.
- Chamomilla (Matricaria) Flower Extract is the chamomile oil used in our Oatmeal & Chamomile grooming products, which provides pleasant natural scent and relaxed mood effects for dogs and humans, as well as having anti-inflammatory properties to soothe irritated or dry skin and promote healing.
- Coconut Based Surfactants/Sodium Lauryl Sulfate is used in many of our natural shampoos and sprays as a cleansing agent and surfactant to keep formulations properly mixed. While commonly used in human HBC products or other flea and tick/pet grooming brands in concentrations of 6% - 18% as the primary cleaning ingredient or as thickening/foaming agent, our other botanical ingredients properly clean skin and coat without stripping essential moisture, and thus we use minimal 1.2% SLS only to keep formula mixed and so consumers don’t need to vigorously shake before each use.
- Lavandula Augustfolia is the specific lavender oil used in our grooming products to offer calming and stress-reducing effects for dogs/puppies and pleasant fragrance, as well as having antibacterial and antiseptic properties.
- Organic Stabilizers are listed as ingredients in all our enzyme formulas and are simply another proprietary blend of natural organics we use to stabilize solutions.
- Phenoxyethanol Caprylyl Glycol is a natural preservative used in our grooming products.
- Sodium Chloride and Potassium Sorbate are used in our botanical grooming shampoos and conditioners as thickening agents.